First designed and created for the Manchester Science Festival 2016, the Periscope Workshop offers an interactive and educational format for children (and adults) to learn about the history, science, technology of the periscope, by creating a small version of one to take home!
By utilising a hands-on, physical and lightly comedic approach, this workshop brings learning to life. This activity transports people back to old-school technology, engages them with their immediate environment in a brand new way … and encourages the notion that science and art can inspire each other.
A typical workshop includes:
– A brief history of the periscope
– An introduction to the science behind light, mirrors, reflection, and refraction
– An introduction to the science behind traditional periscope tubes
– A demonstration involving the periscope used in A Few Feet Up
– An arts & crafts-based activity to create your own cardboard periscope to take home