The GDIF 2015 showcase took place between 25 and 28 June 2015 and was the fifth showcase to be delivered by XTRAX in the context of the Greenwich+Docklands International Festival. As in previous years, the showcase programme featured a range of UK and international artists, including a number of new shows, and featured nine of the twelve shows supported by Without Walls in 2015.
The festival opened on Friday night with a UK premiere of Kori Kori, from one of France’s leading outdoor theatre companies. Saturday night saw Carousel, by Southpaw Dance (commissioned by Without Walls), performed in the grounds of the Royal Naval College. This was followed by the headline show, 451 by Periplum, in Bethnal Green, with many delegates and festival goers travelling by tube after the Carousel performance.
In addition to the 21 shows which made up the GDIF festival programme, XTRAX organised a series of professional events and receptions to complement the showcase programme. These included:
- Flanders High Tea, Thursday 25th June, 16:00-18:00 at Greenwich Tavern.
- Flemish reception, Thursday 25th June, 18:30-20:30 at Greenwich Observatory
- Marketplace, Friday 26th June, 12:30-15:30 at Borough Hall. This event provided 88 companies with an opportunity to promote their current work and network with promoters and festival delegates.
- Focus on Flemish Artists, Friday 26th June, 16:00-18:30 at Greenwich University. An opportunity for invited Flemish artists and organisations to present their work available for touring to delegates and promoters.
- Welcome Reception for Delegates, Friday 26th June, 18:30-20:00 at the Festival Marquee. Informal drinks reception and networking event to welcome delegates and artists to the showcase.
- XTRAX Shorts, Saturday 27th June, 10.30-12.00 at the Festival Marquee. Work in development by 11 UK artists was selected for presentation to delegates.
- XTRAX Shorts – Spotlight on Catalan Arts, Sunday 28th June, 10:30-12:00 at the Festival Marquee. Six artists from Catalonia were invited to make presentations of work in development to delegates.
- 241 delegates attended the XTRAX GDIF Showcase, 38 of which were from overseas
- Around four in ten delegates were responsible for booking or programming shows
- International delegates came from Australia, Belgium, Catalonia, China, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Netherlands, Portugal, and Spain.
- 44% of delegates were attending GDIF for the very first time
- 63% of delegates with programming responsibility expressed an interest in booking a show that they had seen over the weekend.
- 97% of delegates rated the overall quality of the professional events as good or excellent.
- 95% of delegate respondents rated the showcase as Excellent or Good as a networking opportunity, and 89% rated it Excellent or Good as an opportunity to meet international delegates.
- 99% of delegates reported making new contacts through attending
- The highest ranked reason for attending was for networking opportunities, followed by the Marketplace.